Monday, February 28, 2011

Joshi's Holistic Detox: Day Nineteen

Good evening, folks! :)

I could NOT for the life of me sleep last night. I don't know what the problem was. Super frustrating!

At least I still had energy this morning - even without coffee. My delicious breakfast might have helped:


Egg whites, spinach, onion, and goat cheese... and yeast-free spelt bread with dairy-free margarine.

Lunch and snacks:


Lentil pilaf from Day 1 making a reappearance (I had a couple of servings left in my freezer), carrot sticks and Mary's Crackers with hummus, and plain yogurt with a banana.

After school, I forced myself to go to the gym. But first, I needed a quick snack.


Toast with almond butter and honey! Mmm, I'm addicted.

Then I went to BodyPump. I've only been once before, but I really like it. And I definitely had Jell-O legs after... I could barely make it down the stairs to the locker room. That's a good sign, right?!

I was so ready for dinner when I got home. Leftover chicken tikka and some avocado on mixed greens. Mmmmm.


The end of the detox is fast approaching... just two more days. I am very excited to eat things like fruit and wheat again (and, not going to lie, I've already bought some White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter to make some delicious oatmeal on Thursday).

I'm also nervous. I'm worried I'll have my first non-Joshi item, and a switch will flip and I'll turn into some kind of sugar monster. (Which just goes to show how much I trust myself when it comes to eating!) What if I go crazy and gorge on all the yummy things I couldn't eat during the detox?

Okay, I don't really think that will happen. I think that I'll find things like apples and skim milk lattes huge treats after Joshi. But I am visiting friends in Ottawa over this coming weekend, which makes me slightly nervous (although they read this blog and have permission to hold me accountable for tracking!). I just have to remember that being out of town doesn't mean I can't eat like I do at home! And I'll make sure to pack plenty of healthy bus snacks.

I'm trying to think of ways to incorporate aspects of this detox into my everyday life. I'm thinking I might detox (maybe with some modifications) one week every few months? And keep up the tracking, of course... any other ideas?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmn. Maybe you can continue to make several of your meals "Joshi-like." Have your oatmeal w/PB breakfast and then have more protein & greens type lunches & dinners. Or eat clean during the week and have some treats on the weekend.

I think the danger (and I'm thinking of myself here) is that sweet things make one want more sweet things. That's why I've been switching to a more savory breakfast, inspired by you!

Katie said...

Thanks for the ideas, Chezjulie! I agree that the big danger is sweet things leading to more sweet things. I'm glad I inspired you to change up your breakfasts! :)

Enz said...

I think you'll find that if you make an effort to keep some detox meals every week, you will stick to it. I did for quite a while, until stress from a life event threw me off balance.

You can do this!

Katie said...

Thanks Enz! That's a good idea, to incorporate some of my detox meals from now on. I will make a conscious effort to do so!