Thursday, February 17, 2011

Joshi's Holistic Detox: Day Eight

So, I weighed myself this morning to see how Week 1 manifested itself on the scale.

6 pounds down! Craaaaazy. That definitely gave my motivation another boost. :)

I'll see what happens at my meeting Saturday morning for my "official" weigh-in...

Breakie was my now-standard egg whites scrambled with spinach and onion alongside some yeast-free spelt toast with vegan margarine.


After breakfast, I headed downtown to meet my Mom and sister to volunteer with Second Harvest. Today was their annual Lunch Money Day, where volunteers asked people to donate part of their lunch money to help feed Toronto's hungry. We weren't in a super-busy location, but we were able to collect quite a bit! The volunteering was my mom's idea, and I'm glad she thought of it. It was fun and felt good!

After volunteering, my sister and I went to Fresh on Spadina for lunch. I had neglected to bring my camera (bad food blogger!), so I have no picture. I ordered the macro greens bowl on brown rice, which included steamed kale, bok choy, swiss chard, and broccoli, and grilled sweet potato. I also ordered tofu steaks on top, and chipotle avocado dressing on the side. It was certainly green and veggie-packed! I quite enjoyed it.

On my way home, I stopped and got a few groceries:


While deciding what to make for dinner, I had a few snacks, including some rice puffs and soy milk (big surprise...)


and some plain yogurt with a banana and honey (an even bigger surprise....).


For dinner, I made Chicken Tikka for the first time, using this recipe. It was a miracle: I happened to have all of the ingredients on hand, AND it was detox-friendly. I didn't make skewers though, or the onion relish. I just prepped the marinade as written:


I marinated four chicken thighs for about an hour, and grilled them on my Foreman grill. I paired it with brown rice penne with melted goat cheese mixed in. I realized my dinner was lacking veggies, so I microwaved some frozen ones. All together:

This was delicious! I'm not really a huge goat cheese fan, but it wasn't bad. The penne was great, and the chicken was outstanding! I was really pleased with myself.

I'm up too late again! Dexter & bed is calling...

Happy Friday tomorrow! Anyone else excited for the long weekend (if you're getting one)?

3 comments:

skinny me! said...

WOO HOO!!!! Told you so! Dayam...maybe its time for another one!!

Enz said...

Ditto what Kerry said...I knew it would work for you :)

Katie said...

Thanks so much, ladies!!