Thursday, February 10, 2011

Joshi's Holistic Detox: Day One

This morning, I had a nice long sleep-in before arising to...


...check my pH levels (chezjulie was looking forward to that picture, by the way!) . I would call my results slightly inconclusive. I think it's somewhere between a 6 and 7? I know it's impossible to tell from this picture... I'll measure again after the detox to compare, obviously.

I had the kettle boiling while attending to the pH strips, and began my day with some warm water and lemon.


It was rather enjoyable!

For breakfast, I had puffed rice cereal with soy milk.


When my sister and I were little, she was allergic to all kinds of things (including dairy). We would often have soy milk with rice puffs or rice krispies, so eating it now is like a nice childhood memory.

Then, I forced myself out the door and to the gym! I did 20 minutes of intervals on the stationary bike, then some lower body and abs exercises. Booyah!

To tide me over until lunch, I had some probiotic yogurt with a banana.


Then I had the brilliant idea to add some slivered almonds!


Delicious!

For lunch, I decided to try making some green soup. Green because of all the veggies, of course!


I softened a chopped onion, some garlic, about 10 chopped baby carrots, and one stalk of celery, in one tablespoon of olive oil. Then I added some kale, spinach, broccoli, and frozen peas. I threw in some chicken stock and brought it to a boil before letting it simmer a little while.




Then I blended it all with my wonderful immersion blender. I have to admit, I was frightened. This soup smelled maybe a little too vegetable-y for my tastes...

I made some hummus (sans tahini) to eat with Mary's Crackers and the (hopefully edible) soup.


The soup ended up being pretty tasty! Success!

After lunch, I checked my e-mail only to find that I have a phone interview! I applied for a full-time position last week, and I'm very surprised they got to me so quickly (and at all!) I think the interview might end up being tomorrow afternoon, so wish me luck. I hope I don't have to resort to coffee to avoid falling asleep during it...

For dinner, I tried a recipe from the Detox book: lentil pilaf.

It consisted of lentils, brown & wild rice, slivered almonds, green onions, and chicken broth.


While it was cooking, I tried some chamomile honey vanilla tea. Can you believe I've never had chamomile tea before?!


It was okay. Not as good as coffee. ;)

The lentil pilaf, on the other hand, was pretty darn tasty! Didn't look it though, I know.


All in all, I would call my first day a total success! No headaches really, but I was dragging all afternoon. And I'm feeling pretty anxious and stressed, but I think that might just be nerves about the interview. Honestly, if I'm dragging this much tomorrow, I might have a coffee so I can focus for that... but I'll try to avoid it!

I have to get ready for bed now so I'm at the top of my game tomorrow! Good night all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful picture, although I'm not quite sure I understand why it is better to have a body that is more alkaline.

Congrats on a great first day!

Erin said...

Those strips bring back horrible Dr.Bernstein memories! LOL. Hope the phone interview went well :o)