Monday, February 21, 2011

Joshi's Holistic Detox: Day Twelve

Good evening!

It was very lovely not having to wake up pre-6 am this morning for my 8:30 class. I woke up at a much more civilized hour, and enjoyed some delicious toast with almond butter and honey:


With pomegranate green tea.

Then it was time to fulfill the vow I made yesterday - spinning class! Yes, I made it! And I also did an upper body workout... despite having to lift weights in a very crowded, somewhat intimidating area. Go me!

Workout: Completed. Hair: Sweaty.

Upon returning home, I needed some lunch. It was a microwaved affair.


Leftover sweet potato fries & goat cheese-stuffed chicken thighs from yesterday, and some microwaved veggies. Yummmmmmm.

I didn't really have any snacks today, I'm noticing now. Just three sizable meals.

Since I had some free time, I decided to try making a big batch of brown rice to use all week. Every time I make rice, it turns out horribly (does anyone else find rice really hard to cook??). Today, I used this baked rice recipe to see if my luck changed (I used dairy-free margarine instead of butter, and vegetable stock instead of water).


It was a success! The top was maybe slightly crunchy in areas, but overall, definitely the best rice I've ever made. I decided to abandon my original dinner plan (a quinoa dish) and focus on my delectable brown rice instead.

I opened up this can of Eden Organics Caribbean Black Beans that I'd bought ages and ages ago to mix in with the rice.


I tried it and... I wasn't a huge fan. They weren't bad, but I just wasn't in the mood. I racked my brain trying to think of some kind of protein to have with my rice, and finally I came up with: Chickpea Curry! I based it largely on this Red Lentil Curry recipe (that I've used many times in the past, as written. It's yummy!)

I started off by sauteing some diced onion in a frying pan with olive oil. Meanwhile, I mixed together about 2 tablespoons of curry paste, a couple of cloves of minced garlic, 1/2 - 1 tbsp curry powder, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp chili powder, and some fresh ginger.

Note the spilled chili powder in the top left corner.

I threw that in the frying pan with the onions, stirred it for a couple of minutes, and then added a can of (rinsed) chickpeas.


I threw in 2 cups of cooked rice, and it was done!


Oh wait, I lied. Before I served it, I added some chopped up green onion.

According to my calculations, if you divide this into 4 servings, each serving is 9 Points Plus values.

I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was a little spicy, but it wasn't overpowering.

I think I will have one snack this evening - my daily banana (which is unfortunately quite bruised). Have a good night, all! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The chickpea curry looks great!

skinny me! said...

Katie,

you need to get a rice cooker...they are pretty cheap and literally SO easy to use...you'll never have to worry about cooking rice again.

Way to go on still going so strong!

Kerry

Katie said...

Kerry, I've debated getting a rice cooker for months! I don't usually cook rice all that often, so I haven't bothered, but maybe it's time...