Saturday, January 9, 2010

Back on the Wagon

The running wagon, that is! Although, I suppose it might be more accurate to say I'm off the wagon... running beside it...

I started running in the summer by following the Couch to 5k program. I took a couple of months off, then I went back to it in September and finally worked up to running 30 minutes straight... but I hadn't been in a couple of weeks due to frigid weather (and, you know, laziness). BUT I am happy to say that I ran both yesterday AND today!! I used the gym in my parents' condo.

I was afraid yesterday of burning myself out (because I'm in SUCH DANGER of over-exercising...) so I ran 9 minutes and walked 1 minute twice, then finished off with 10 minutes of running. Not too shabby!

Today, I warmed up by doing 15 minutes on the cross-trainer, then I moved to the treadmill. I was afraid of trying to do too much (again, because I'm so hard-core, hehe) so I was considering doing 9 minute intervals again... but I didn't!! Maybe it was the music pushing me to keep running (Vengaboys, anyone? I know that I really stepped it into high gear when Boom Boom Boom Boom!! came on), or maybe I was still on a high from my excellent weigh-in this morning (more on that to follow), but I ran 30 ENTIRE minutes without stopping. BOO-YAH!

I finished off with about 15 or 20 minutes of stretching (my biceps are KILLING me from attempting the 30 Day Shred with 8 lb weights a couple of days ago).

One thing that I attempted yesterday and today was breathing in a more regulated fashion. It was MUCH EASIER than in the past--I think because I was indoors, not outdoors battling the cold air and runny nose. I've read that it's helpful to breathe in for 3 strides, and out for 2. It seemed impossible for me to breathe that way. I didn't understand how I could breathe out for less time than I breathed in and manage to get all the air back out!

I spoke to my friend Elizabeth about this dilemma (she's a runner!), and she explained that you exhale more forcefully than you inhale. Which makes sense, and also coincides with something I read once about alternating your exhales from the left to the right side so you don't put more stress on one side than the other, or something like that*. Anyway, it was much easier to breathe in this pattern on the treadmill. It also gave me something to focus on to help the time go quicker!

Last week I started Pilates class, and this week I'm starting Booty Camp, so I think I've got 2010 off to a good, healthy start! I'm going to start keeping track of the week's workouts in the sidebar.

Peace out!

*things like this are important for elite runners (like myself, with my 12.5- or 13-minute mile, hehe)

No comments: