Thursday, March 3, 2011

Joshi's Holistic Detox: Conclusions.

Three weeks ago, I started Joshi's Holistic Detox. I explained my reasoning in this post. Yesterday was my last day! I actually made it through all 21 days! So, did I accomplish what I'd set out to do?

My goals were as follows:
  • Eliminate cravings. My cravings absolutely diminished very soon after starting this detox. Prior to the detox, I was craving/thinking about food ALL THE TIME. On the detox, it was very easy to turn food down, and I hardly thought about it.
  • Increase my motivation. I am feeling super-motivated as a result of the detox! My clothes are fitting better, I have more energy, and I feel better all around. I want things to stay this way!
  • Try new foods. The restrictions of the detox forced me out of my food comfort zone. I tried new foods, like sole and millet puffs, and I even developed an affinity for goat cheese (which is lower in fat than regular cheese, I believe)!
  • Lose weight. I know what you've all been waiting for - my weigh-in results from today! Well, going by my home scale and my weight from Day 1 of the detox and this morning... I lost 12.6 pounds during the 21 days! Awww yeah!
I also went to a Weight Watchers meeting this morning, since I won't be at my usual Saturday meeting. I weighed in at 198.8 lbs, down 3.4 from last Saturday. That's the lowest weigh-in I've had (and my first time below 200) since October 6! I'd say I've definitely given myself the wake-up call I so desperately needed.

The detox has other benefits as well - I am positive my skin is better, and I've been a LOT less moody, according to some people. ;)

Andrea asked on my last post if my boyfriend held up his end of the bargain! You may recall, he decided to give up chocolate and blog every day for the duration of my detox. He didn't quite blog every day, although he did blog a lot more than he had been... and as for the chocolate? He managed to give it up completely, except when he "accidentally" drank some chocolate milk last weekend... I'll let it slide, seeing as I was technically having gluten in my spelt bread. :)

Now onto today - so what did I do with my newfound freedom from Joshi?

Shockingly enough, I didn't have any coffee!! I'm not in a rush to get hooked on it again, and I wasn't really by a coffee shop today, and I still don't have regular milk at home (which I take in my coffee), so I didn't bother with it. I am planning on using one as motivation for my 5:30 wake-up call tomorrow though...

My first treat today was fruit! It was totally delish. I also had oatmeal with peanut butter, as planned, and went out for dinner. Thankfully, I didn't go nuts and devour everything I wasn't allowed to eat on the detox. I'm finding things like fruit and tomatoes (and probably tomorrow, coffee) to be treats enough for now (along with the giant calzone I had for dinner...)

My next goal is to make it through this weekend in Ottawa with friends! I've got lots of food ready to bring with me for the weekend:


I have carrot sticks and hummus, Mary's Crackers, and a turkey & avocado sandwich on a pita for the bus ride up tomorrow evening. I'm also bringing various bars as well as little bags of nuts and seeds worth 3 Points Plus each. That way, if I need a snack throughout the weekend, or on the train ride home, I'll be set. (I'm taking the bus one way alone, and the train one way with my friends).

I am vowing now, publicly, to TRACK what I eat while I'm out of town! It might not be easy, but I will at least write everything down so I can go back and fill it into my online tracker when I get home. I will tell you how it all goes.

As for incorporating Joshi's rules into my everyday life - Chezjulie and Enz had similar suggestions: Chezjulie suggested making my regular meals more Joshi-like, and Enz suggested incorporating a few Joshi meals each week. I think these are both excellent ideas! I will definitely try to eat more veggies and have well-rounded meals to try and keep my blood sugar stable and my cravings down. I also foresee detoxing for a week or so every few months to recharge and renew my motivation.

I must be off to finish my packing! Thanks again for all of your detox support. It is very much appreciated. :)

Have a wonderful weekend, all! I will be back early next week with a post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You rock Katie!!! I cannot wait to see you! I was blown away by this post. We will be good girls in Ottawa this weekend... In the food sense, not in the naughty sense;).

-Martina

Enz said...

That is awesome!!
Have a great weekend.