Monday, June 25, 2012

Eat to Live Day 1

I had a busy evening of chopping vegetables and soaking beans for tomorrow (and maybe watching The Bachelorette), so this post is later than I expected!

Today went really well, foodwise. Breakfast was a HUGE smoothie (it wouldn't all fit in one glass) with spinach, lettuce, unsweetened pomegranate juice, unsweetened soy milk, frozen strawberries, a banana, and ground flaxseed. I also had some walnuts to make sure it would last me until lunch.


I packed a giganto lunch to bring to work, because I wasn't sure how full I would be from the smoothie. I brought a salad filled with red quinoa, black beans (they weren't even canned!), corn, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, parsley, green onion, and avocado.

I can't believe I made this myself!
I also brought some cut up veggies and fruit.


My lunch was so big that I wasn't able to finish all of it. I ate the cut up veggies, about two-thirds of the salad, and some of the fruit. I had some more fruit when I was finished teaching my class.

Technically, Dr. Fuhrman does not allow snacking between meals (he gives a long explanation for this that seems sensible to me, at least to try--I may elaborate on this in a future post). My work schedule is a bit awkward this summer. Monday through Thursday, I teach one class in the middle of the day. I might stray from the guidelines and eat part of my lunch before class, and part after. Hmmm!

For dinner, I started with the remains of my lunch salad.
Not the most attractive...
Then I had some of the soup I made this weekend. I added in a handful of black beans, too.


I should mention that this soup is not EXACTLY within the rules. I'm supposed to be cutting back on sodium as much as possible, but I used a small amount of packaged vegetable broth when making this soup. It was low-sodium, but as still above the Eat to Live guidelines. Since it was spread throughout a huge amount of soup, I'm not too worried about it. I'm just doing the best I can to follow the guidelines and maintain my sanity. :)

Dessert was some more fruit. Delicious!


Thanks everyone for your comments about my new experiment! Andrea is also starting a new eating challenge today (although it's kind of the opposite of mine, haha), which I'm excited to read about. Her pictures are also much better than mine are!

I have a big day tomorrow so I'd better be off to bed! Stay tuned...

No comments: