Thursday, May 31, 2012

June Challenge: Ease Into Summer

I feel like an old lady today. I did a few wimpy pushups and squats yesterday, and now I can hardly move. Clearly I'm not in very good shape!

The first thing I did this morning was rush down to the gym in my building to weigh myself (last week, in a fit of decluttering, I donated my scale to charity). The scale revealed a very scary number, but not a surprising one. It's time for me to get my butt back in gear! It's time for a challenge! :)

This time of year, there are all sorts of workouts/diets floating around that target getting yourself ready for swimsuit season, but that's not really what I'm looking for (not to mention that I would need wayyyyyy more time, and perhaps plastic surgery, in order to really be "bikini ready").

No, my challenge is all about being kind to myself. I've had a lot to deal with the past few months, and I want to take care of myself with healthy food that won't make me feel like garbage. I want to ease into summer gently.


For the month of June, I'm not going to track my meals or count calories or points. I am, however, going to do my best to eat really healthy food. At this point, I'm planning to use Joshi's Holistic Detox as a guideline. When I followed the detox last year, I felt amazing. I want to feel that way again.

Since I'm "easing" my way back into healthy living, I'm making a few modifications to the detox:
  • I'm not giving up my coffee (let's face it: depriving Katie of caffeine isn't being kind to anyone). 
  • I'm not giving up fruit.
  • I'm going to allow myself two splurge meals each week. For example, tomorrow I have plans that include a free pizza lunch. I'm not passing that up!
I'm mainly keeping Joshi's Detox in mind because I'm familiar with it, and it will give me some rules to follow so my challenge isn't too vague.

As for exercise, I am getting back into a routine. However, I'm not going to make it a formal part of my Ease Into Summer challenge. One thing at a time. :)

Now, there's a chance that I won't be able to maintain this challenge as I've set it out once we officially put the condo up for sale and start showing it... but I'm going to try my best and modify my guidelines as necessary!

I printed out a June calendar so I can give myself a sticker for each day I keep to the challenge! I'll be weighing myself again at the end of the month. I can't promise daily posts with pictures of all of my meals, but I'll try to update often.
How are you easing into summer?

5 comments:

ChezJulie said...

That sounds like a good plan - to give yourself some focus without adding the additional stress of counting calories and beating yourself up.

I am easing into summer by rejoining to the Cult of Weight Watchers.

Anonymous said...

My summer always includes a lot of walking. I don’t where (if at all) I’m working this summer, but I also plan to bike a lot. Last summer I biked almost every day to the university for work, as I did the year before that and the summers I worked at the gallery. I biked to the university once a few weeks ago and was out of breath on the way back … I’m out of shape!

But yeah, basically I want to combat the fact that I spend most of my time sitting in a chair, reading (or knitting now, thanks a lot).

Andy said...

Katie! I'm so glad you're blogging again. I've missed you! Let's hang out sometime.

I'm also easing my way back into 'healthy living' after gaining a bunch of weight back. It is what it is, right? Biking to work has helped, and I also decided to sign up for a 5K in September, so I'm planning to tackle the Couch To 5K again over the summer.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're blogging again, Katie.

I like your 'ease into summer' challenge, I just might try it too!

:)

Katie said...

Chezjulie - Good luck with Weight Watchers! Keep us posted with how it goes. :)

Ben - Sounds like a good plan! Although I think knitting is the healthiest habit of all. ;)

Andrea - I'm so impressed that you're biking to work, and that you signed up for a 5K! We should definitely hang out.

Erin - Thank you! I'm glad too. :)