Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Exciting Times

In my last post, I mentioned that I had some big news about this fall...

I'm going back to school!


Andrea, you were right. You win... a mention on my blog! ;)

This fall, I am going to teacher's college... in Thunder Bay! I have been teaching at the college level for a couple of years, and I've realized how much I love teaching. To increase my chances of one day getting a full-time job, I made a last-minute decision to apply to teacher's college (although I know it's not exactly easy to get a high school teaching job at this time...). There were only two Ontario schools still accepting applications in April, when all this happened, so that's how I arrived at Lakehead University way, way, way up in Thunder Bay.

I am super excited (and only slightly nervous) about this decision. I am ready for a change. The program is set up so I have 9 weeks of classes, come home to Toronto for my practicum and Christmas holidays, go back for 9 more weeks of classes, then come home for practicum again. My main concern is finding housing in Thunder Bay without actually going there to scope it out (which isn't really feasible for me this summer, moneywise and timewise).

Anyone familiar with Thunder Bay that might have some advice?

I am very motivated to use this summer to get closer to my goal. I want to be happy, healthy, and confident for this next chapter of my life! :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother and sister both live in Thundery Bay - my sister is a student at Lakehead.

Housing there is really, extremely cheap. Stay out of the east end and try to score a place in Port Arthur (not Fort William) as the neighbourhood is better. It's...not a nice place. If you're from the GTA, think the worst, ugliest part of Hamilton and you've got T Bay. Sorry to be blunt.

My mom's landlord has two rentals in the same building that are quite nice, I know he has vacancies sometimes? My sister's townhouse complex has short term rentals for students as well. If you're desperate, drop me an email, I might be able to help.

Enz said...

I'm so jealous..you and Tiffany will be neighbours!!!! I don't remember if you met Tiff.....I'm so bad remembering stuff like that!

Enz said...

P.S. Congratulations!!!!! This is an exciting time for you.

Katie said...

Tara - Thanks so much for the tips! I just might drop you an email. I did live in Hamilton for a couple of years, so hopefully I'll be fine up in T Bay. ;)

Enz - Thanks so much! I have met Tiffany, I should send her an email!

Anonymous said...

I don't really understand what teacher's college is, but congratulations on your new endeavor! You sound excited. :-)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to leave my email address - it's dust_cover[at]hotmail{dot]com

Andy said...

<-- Yessss! WINNER. :)

Congratulations, that's so cool! Sounds like it's going to work out really well, that's cool that you will still be back here quite a bit. We will have to have a blogger get-together before you go. :)

Katie said...

Thanks chezjulie and andrea!

Chezjulie - Teacher's college is an 8-month bachelor's degree that will qualify me to be a high school teacher.

Unknown said...

Yay! Congrats about school & being closer to Tiff!!